300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life after the HT1000

Well, all good things do come to an end and it's the HT1000's turn.
    One of Motorola's best ever made portable for police work is no longer made and I am looking for a replacement that can come close. We presently have 700 units and I am in need of 27 more for new recruits, unfortunatly they are no longer available so I'm off looking for a replacement. I need to hear from a large dept. who may have to have switch to another model as I have to do. I have tried the HT1250, HT750,XTS2500 Astro, and XTS5000, I've also played with a few Vertex and Kenwood models and nothing comes close to the durability and audio quality of the HT1000s. The Motorola shops I've called say that they cannot find any, and depts. just are not letting go of the ones they have so there is no used market. I manage a repair shop within the police dept. and we do all our own repairs so we have been able to maintain our inventory without any issues but getting new stock is not possible anymore.
    If you're in the same boat I'm in and you have found a decent replacement please let me know, meanwhile I'll keep testing more models out.
    Thanks,

CarlP

Not that it matters much, but... VHF, UHF, or 800? There is an absolute glut of UHF (403-470 split) MTS2000s on ebay right now. Most of them have come from US Government systems that have been migrated to 800 digital. The going rate for these radios is around $125 each.

On the other hand, I am VERY weary about buying used radios from an unknown source and placing them into a mission-critical application. I'm of the opinion that the front-line folks should get the most reliable equipment.

I recently switched my agency (relatively small agency) over from the HT1000 to the XTS1500. So far, they've taken the beating that the HT1000s took, and they've held up well. The audio quality on any current-generation will not be the same as the HT1000 purely because of the DSP in the current gen radios. We've managed to maintain nearly identical functionality on the XTS1500s, so retraining users was a non-issue.

Comment

I'm happy with Kenwood TK-2180's.

Programmed correctly, they're my favorite... no offense to momma /\/\

All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

I enjoy using a M/A-Com P7100 for EDACS 800 mHZ. I use one owned by my school as volunteer (occasionally paid) security and after repairs, it is working well. The repairs were because it is a used radio and had a volume problem, which I believe was due to poor handling and not every P7100.

It is now fixed and works well. All city officers and the school district's police use them on the county's EDACS 800 mHZ analog radio system.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hxd View Post
          Not that it matters much, but... VHF, UHF, or 800? There is an absolute glut of UHF (403-470 split) MTS2000s on ebay right now. Most of them have come from US Government systems that have been migrated to 800 digital. The going rate for these radios is around $125 each.

On the other hand, I am VERY weary about buying used radios from an unknown source and placing them into a mission-critical application. I'm of the opinion that the front-line folks should get the most reliable equipment.

I recently switched my agency (relatively small agency) over from the HT1000 to the XTS1500. So far, they've taken the beating that the HT1000s took, and they've held up well. The audio quality on any current-generation will not be the same as the HT1000 purely because of the DSP in the current gen radios. We've managed to maintain nearly identical functionality on the XTS1500s, so retraining users was a non-issue.
          Hey HXD, should you tell him to ask that one on HS?
          That's what they do, it's a trailer park.

Comment

I'm far from knowledgeable in all things relating to radios, but, I really like the XTS5000's we have. I dont know of any durability problems at all with them, aside from a knob or something breaking off....and they are flexible offering compatibility with digital and analog radio systems. We have just under 400 officers here and I've never heard a complaint about the radio itself......just the radio system.

Originally posted by CarlP View Post
            Well, all good things do come to an end and it's the HT1000's turn.
            One of Motorola's best ever made portable for police work is no longer made and I am looking for a replacement that can come close. We presently have 700 units and I am in need of 27 more for new recruits, unfortunatly they are no longer available so I'm off looking for a replacement. I need to hear from a large dept. who may have to have switch to another model as I have to do. I have tried the HT1250, HT750,XTS2500 Astro, and XTS5000, I've also played with a few Vertex and Kenwood models and nothing comes close to the durability and audio quality of the HT1000s. The Motorola shops I've called say that they cannot find any, and depts. just are not letting go of the ones they have so there is no used market. I manage a repair shop within the police dept. and we do all our own repairs so we have been able to maintain our inventory without any issues but getting new stock is not possible anymore.
            If you're in the same boat I'm in and you have found a decent replacement please let me know, meanwhile I'll keep testing more models out.
            Thanks,

CarlP

Comment

There should be a ton of HT1000's coming on the market as agencies switch to 800. Check the state auctions in Minnesota.

As for an alternative...We switched to the HT1250 four or five years ago. We have absolutely zero complaints on ours.
              No, you've got the wrong number. This is 9-1....2.
              - Police Chief Clancy Wiggum

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5965 users online. 305 members and 5660 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X