300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seventy2002 View Post
    Offhand, I'd say tiny screens and keyboards. They might work quite well for citation writing but I wouldn't want to use them for CAD or report writing.
    good point., but do you really draw a full blown CAD while out in the field in your car?

I agree with you on the citation part, the do work great as its usually straight forward, license reads in making it quick, depending on how smart the app is (GPS for location, 1-2 seconds to select violation's and a 5 second print) can give you a citation in under a minute...

Depending on how smart the company who wrote the report writing software is,,, you could have a report wrtier on a 2.5 inch screen that would be faster and more efficient than having it on a full screen (15inch) display..

An Event-driven report writing mobile device application will do that for you.. ive written on of those

Comment

re:Mobile computers

In my department we use DATA911 systems. They are installed in the glove compartment. We have used trunk mount but since we are in AZ the heat during summers cause problems with the PC because of the high temperatures. While in the glove compartment the air conditioning is running so they work great!

see the units @

Stay safe out there!
      Flight Technician
      Maricopa County Sheriff Helicopter Posse

Comment

NH uses tough books but is moving away from them to the touch screens. The only benefit to the tough books is that you can smack someone with it if you really needed to. However i DONT recommend using them as a shield, we've tested doing that, it doesn't work :-)

I like the touch screens myself.
        The sooner you understand that all your base are belongs to me the better off you will be.

Comment

Originally posted by NHNSP_ADMIN View Post
          NH uses tough books but is moving away from them to the touch screens. The only benefit to the tough books is that you can smack someone with it if you really needed to. However i DONT recommend using them as a shield, we've tested doing that, it doesn't work :-)

I like the touch screens myself.
          p.s. if some do not know some toughbooks have a wireless touchscreen module... toughbook laptop stays in vehicle, you walk around with wireless touch screen

Comment

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police uses Itronix MWS in "K" Division (the Province of Alberta), and Panasonic Toughbook CF-30 in "F" Division (the Province of Saskatchewan). I have used the CF-27 through to the CF-30, but not the Intronix.

"F" Division uses cell modems and EVDO data transmission system. The Force uses a version of XWave's ROADS (our acronym is SAMM) for CAD access, messaging and CPIC / NCIC access, and a version of Niche's RMS (re-named PROS) for mobile RMS real-time access / maintenance / creation.

The CF-27 to CF-29 and previous modems had problems with loss of connection due to poor coverage and power issues, but the CF-30 and new modems have performed very well. I use the touch screen, keyboard and mouse pad a lot.

The ergonomics of using these MWS from the driver's seat is not great, and even worse from the front passenger seat, but the advantages that the MWS provides - instant access to CPIC and NCIC, messaging from car-to-car / car-to-CPIC / car-to-dispatch, AVL / GPS map real-time self-monitoring and snap-shot-in-time of other units, access to our legacy and current RMS - FAR outweigh those problems.
            #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
            Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
            RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
            Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
            "Smile" - no!

Comment

i think one of the weaknesses for these rugged computers is that you have to get into the car to write your reports or access to information. The police department should find alternative to deploy more mobility devices such as iPhone and iPad

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3237 users online. 192 members and 3045 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X