300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile computers

Has anyone had expierence with using different types of squad computers- specifically an all-in-one (what looks like a tablet PC) versus a Toughbook type computer? It seems that most of us have only used one or the other, and therefore only have an opinon on one style.

http://www.datalux.com/images/tracer...mall_touch.jpg

-versus-

http://lh6.google.com/tjackermann/Rs...jpg?imgmax=512

Specifically, I'm wondering how much the screen wabbles when going down the road or when the touch-screen is used; durability; safety- i.e. crashes, airbag deployments; docking vs. fixed; creature comforts for both driver & passenger; durability, espically of the touch screen & keyboard.

If you've only used one of the styles and have opinions on it, by all means- fire away.

I've used both types of computers. Of course I'm not an officer so I don't know how the tablet would work out in a car but I know I had trouble using it just sitting on my couch (my dad got one where he used to work).

The officers here use Itronix computers that is a normal laptop with a touch screen, so they can select different parts of the MDC program with their fingers and just type whatever is needed.
    sigpic

Comment

The Itronix VR2 is the best notebook I've seen for a police car. Call your HP state and local rep, they can get them for less than $3000 with the three year warranty with accidental damage protection.
      The People's Republic of Massachusetts

Communications | Technology | Social Media
      Twitter Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by wb647 View Post
        Has anyone had expierence with using different types of squad computers- specifically an all-in-one (what looks like a tablet PC) versus a Toughbook type computer? It seems that most of us have only used one or the other, and therefore only have an opinon on one style.

http://www.datalux.com/images/tracer...mall_touch.jpg

-versus-

http://lh6.google.com/tjackermann/Rs...jpg?imgmax=512

Specifically, I'm wondering how much the screen wabbles when going down the road or when the touch-screen is used; durability; safety- i.e. crashes, airbag deployments; docking vs. fixed; creature comforts for both driver & passenger; durability, espically of the touch screen & keyboard.

If you've only used one of the styles and have opinions on it, by all means- fire away.

We steered our agency away from laptops (Toughbooks) and into actual fixed mount computers. As the guy who supports over 130 of these types of computers, I cannot say enough good stuff about them. Specifically the Data911 product. Not only are they fully airbag compliant (big difference between friendly and compliant), but they are very rugged and have withstood the typical use/abuse in the field. Cost is approximately $5K-6K depending on different variables. Good luck!

Comment

I have a data 911 currently in my cruiser. I have also had a toughbook. Between the two I prefer the toughbook. You can use it with gloves on and it seems that down time is far less than with the 911 system. The screen is easier to read on the toughbook and it doesn't block heater and radio controls like the 911.The toughbook does leave a little less room in the passenger side but no biggie. The 911 leaves almost no room in the trunk because the tray takes up most of the space and then your spare tire. If you are tactical and have to carry raid gear and extra weapons, shield etc good luck you have to stack stuff in the back seat. It sucks for space without all the extras. Give me the toughbook back anyday.
          The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

5 to 6 k for a computer? By fixed mount, do you mean that there's still a tower like in the trunk or something and a screen and keyboard up front?

What I like about the Itronix is that the keyboard keys are translucent, which allows for a backlight. Also the touchscreen plus keyboard is a nice combo. Of specifically-for-police-duty computers, the Itronix is the only one I've used.
            sigpic

Comment

We use Toughbook CF-29s and they're good computers. VERY rugged, touchscreen is a breeze, and the keyboard is backlit. I prefer a laptop over a fixed mount b/c I can take it wherever I need to to do my work.
              Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Originally posted by Narco944 View Post
                We use Toughbook CF-29s and they're good computers. VERY rugged, touchscreen is a breeze, and the keyboard is backlit. I prefer a laptop over a fixed mount b/c I can take it wherever I need to to do my work.
                An important point for some. Not to mention that maintenance is easier.
                The People's Republic of Massachusetts

Communications | Technology | Social Media
                Twitter Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Catman View Post
                  The Itronix VR2 is the best notebook I've seen for a police car. Call your HP state and local rep, they can get them for less than $3000 with the three year warranty with accidental damage protection.
                  How many did you have to purchase for this price? we only bought 12 and paid almost 700.00 more for ours.

Comment

This doesnt add to the fixed mount question... but why are people still stuck to the fixed mount stuff?

what stops you from moving to mobile devices? (motorola mc70, intermec cn3, janam, etc. ?)... im not talking about using a cell phone., im talking about enterprise level rugged mobile devices that you cld use as a night stick if needed .,

Comment

My dept. has used Toughbooks for several years, and have had laptops since the late 90's. We currently use the CF-30, although I still have a CF-29 in my rig. I sure like them. I like the laptops because I can take them out of the rig and use them at home, office, out of town in training, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by zxed View Post
                        This doesnt add to the fixed mount question... but why are people still stuck to the fixed mount stuff?

what stops you from moving to mobile devices? (motorola mc70, intermec cn3, janam, etc. ?)... im not talking about using a cell phone., im talking about enterprise level rugged mobile devices that you cld use as a night stick if needed .,
                        You don't want stuff flying around and maybe hitting you if you have to go high-G.

Comment

Originally posted by zxed View Post
                          what stops you from moving to mobile devices? (motorola mc70, intermec cn3, janam, etc.
                          Offhand, I'd say tiny screens and keyboards. They might work quite well for citation writing but I wouldn't want to use them for CAD or report writing.

Comment

Originally posted by Catman View Post
                            We had Itronics just before we went to the Panasonic Toughbook. Itronics sucked! The keys would stick or not work at all, the keys would never light up like they was supposed to. We could never keep them working long enough to be worth a dam.

The Toughbooks are light years better than the Itronics. I'm glad we switched over to the Toughbooks.
                            Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Ealerman View Post
                              You don't want stuff flying around and maybe hitting you if you have to go high-G.
                              "Most" have rugged mounts that hold things in place

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3650 users online. 241 members and 3409 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X