300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorola

Anyone have experience with Motorola Talk-Abouts (I think that's what they're called)?
    I'm thinking of getting a pair or two for Explorers, but if they don't have a decent range its not worth it.
    Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

They are decent little radios. The motorola's as many of the other brands. have about a 2 mile range. They genrally have 14 channels. Open/Public channels (CB channels). For things like family outings they work good. We have even used them at work for special operations when you don't want to get on the LE radio. NOt sure how your plannning on using them but they are simple and work well.

FYI, if your going to be looking, check Sam's club or Costco. Here they almost always have the two pack with recharger and clips for a lot less than buying at an "electronics store".

Comment

Originally posted by CarCop
      They are decent little radios. The motorola's as many of the other brands. have about a 2 mile range. They genrally have 14 channels. Open/Public channels (CB channels). For things like family outings they work good. We have even used them at work for special operations when you don't want to get on the LE radio. NOt sure how your plannning on using them but they are simple and work well.

FYI, if your going to be looking, check Sam's club or Costco. Here they almost always have the two pack with recharger and clips for a lot less than buying at an "electronics store".
      If you buy them, stay off the first 5 channels, that's where everyone and their brother is. Since the things are so prevelant, everyone turns it on to channel 1, and if there are others there, go to channel 2. 6-14 are usually good.
      N. A. Corbier
      Moderator, SecurityInfoWatch Forums
      Visiting Commando Leader

If you work in private security, feel free to register on Officer.com's sister site for security, forums.securityinfowatch.com

Comment

Originally posted by letshearit4blue
        Anyone have experience with Motorola Talk-Abouts (I think that's what they're called)?
        I'm thinking of getting a pair or two for Explorers, but if they don't have a decent range its not worth it.
        Believe it or not we use them at work. I work in a Max Security Prison and we use them on the blocks because we can't get our fcc approval for our standard radios for different channels for each block. One they don't hold up for our use and I have a hard time hearing the radio even when its quite. Maybe I just tune it out cause it sounds like static to me.......but outside who knows maybe they might be alright as long as there isn't any high hills and electronic signals blocking your calls if your by them let us know ok....

Comment

I use them on my paintball team. GOOD radios. FM is way better quality sound than the AM CBs ever were. They have a pretty good battery life and have a LOT of accessories.

Comment

Ok i had to post on this one i work for a motorola shop right now frs radios which are the family radios have a 2 mile range depending to what is around if u want the most bang for u buck go with the gmrs radios lot better range up to 7 miles also lol coming from some one who sells and installs radio's lol go with kenwood or another brand u will pay less for the same quality omg there i said it with talk abouts ur paying for the name and thats all all the gmrs a frs are all the same depends on the amount u want to spend
            Last edited by soontoberookie1; 10-14-2005, 12:33 AM.
            Wish I could get drunk after two beers

Comment

Originally posted by soontoberookie1
              Ok i had to post on this one i work for a motorola shop right now frs radios which are the family radios have a 2 mile range depending to what is around if u want the most bang for u buck go with the gmrs radios lot better range up to 7 miles also lol coming from some one who sells and installs radio's lol go with kenwood or another brand u will pay less for the same quality omg there i said it with talk abouts ur paying for the name and thats all all the gmrs a frs are all the same depends on the amount u want to spend
              thanks for the honest opinion
              Well life is too short so love the one ya got cuz ya might get run over or ya might get shot.

Comment

Originally posted by soontoberookie1
                GMRS can have a max range of up to 14miles. What is more important though is that to use GMRS you need a license from the FCC. The following link gives more info: Clicky

Just remember that to talk on the air, without proper license, can result in violation of Federal Law. Just a heads up
                Last edited by ke4gde; 10-17-2005, 01:55 PM. Reason: punctuation
                "You are what you do when it counts"-John Steakley (Armor)

Comment

Originally posted by ke4gde
                  Just remember that to talk on the air, without proper license, can result in violation of Federal Law. Just a heads up
                  Heh, that would be a sweet irony...
                  arrested for using a radio for a security detail...
                  sweet irony.

Comment

Yes,Motorola are good radios.During my travel in Turkey this year,me and my friend used them while we were driving our cars.It was a long trip from Romania to Turkey(about 1200 km).The range is about 1,2 miles(2-3 km) and need to be rechargeble every 24 hrs of using.I recomend Motorola with rechargeble bateries with plug in cables or with rechargeble stand.
                    Last edited by Ptache; 10-18-2005, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ke4gde
                      GMRS can have a max range of up to 14miles. What is more important though is that to use GMRS you need a license from the FCC. The following link gives more info: Clicky

Thank you for adding that i did forget that part i know that it is easy to get the license it is a money deal u apply pay the money they give u a license all about uncle same making a buck lol
                      Wish I could get drunk after two beers

Comment

Be careful... The FCC states that Government use of Family band radios is prohibited. Some homework may be in order. Found this at my last job (USAF).
                        I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5851 users online. 369 members and 5482 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X