300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tablet In Place Of Laptop Computer

I was told recently that some agencies are beginning to trassition from traditional laptop computers to tablets or even an Apple iPad in a ruggedized case for data. I was surprised by this because it seems like tablets don't have as much capabiltiy as a regular ruggedized laptop computer, like a Panasonic Toughbook. As far as an Apple iPad, I suppose if all you were doing is updating status on a CAD system, maybe it would work, but I simply can't imagine that it would hold up to the rigors of police work.

What are you guys doing in your agencies? Is the Pansonic Toughbook still the "gold standard" or are you doing something else? I will say that there are some places that I never thought would get MDCs in some very rural areas, now using laptop computers!

We are looking at using Toughbook Tablets for our motors. They are capable of running our CAD program, e-citation / crash reports and our RMS system. Having looked in to this for a couple years, I can tell you the iPad is just as capable as a laptop. Its just that many of the programs CAD, TRACS, RMS, aren't up to date with supporting the IOS device.

Comment

Originally posted by AI_guy View Post
      We are looking at using Toughbook Tablets for our motors. They are capable of running our CAD program, e-citation / crash reports and our RMS system. Having looked in to this for a couple years, I can tell you the iPad is just as capable as a laptop. Its just that many of the programs CAD, TRACS, RMS, aren't up to date with supporting the IOS device.
      Except there's no multitasking on an iPad. What happens when you need to run someone DCI/NCIC/CJLEADS while your cad is up?

Maybe it would work for someplaces, but I keep up 3-4+ applications running on my MDT at any given time.

Comment

What are the Toughpads running for?
        http://www.xpediter.com

Comment

Originally posted by AppState View Post
          Except there's no multitasking on an iPad. What happens when you need to run someone DCI/NCIC/CJLEADS while your cad is up?

Maybe it would work for someplaces, but I keep up 3-4+ applications running on my MDT at any given time.
          We run them through an internet based program. You can keep cad operating in the background without it closing, while you run the checks through e-time.

Comment

Originally posted by AppState View Post

(emphasis added)
            iOS has multitasking.

Comment

Originally posted by rricasata View Post
              What are the Toughpads running for?
              I think our recent quote was around 2500.00

Comment

Technology changes everyday. iPad and iPhones are great because they are not only easy to use but also there are lots of apps from the Appstore that helps police officers do their work. Tablet also costs less to set up and maintenance compare to laptop or Toughbook. In addition, these devices provide mobility that helps officers to access to data anytime anywhere without having to go to the car

Comment

I use an iPad for taking my reports to court. Using Dropbox makes it a snap, just drag and drop. I also use Capture Notes 2 for interviews as well as recording them.
                  Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

I am sure an Ipad or for that matter any tablet would be of great use if technology especially communication technology is involved fully. The tablet will work only as an interface - a mobile interface with centralized data. The ease of reporting and supervising increases manifold. Apart from that various apps makes it easy for officers to get their jobs accomplished.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3556 users online. 235 members and 3321 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X