X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bucksone
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2007

Static on Motorola MTS 2000

I work for a suburban agency here in central Ohio. Several years ago, my department replaced the Motorola MTS 2000 radios that we had used for 10+ years with Motorola XTS5000 radios. Since we are surrounded by the city of Columbus, many of us continued carrying the old radios out in the cars with us as we had several Columbus Police channels programmed into them and could keep track of crime happening nearby that might affect us. This worked fine until about two weeks ago. Now we get frequent lengthy bursts of static that are so annoying I usually just turn the radio off. I've tried several different radios and it happens on all of them. We also have Columbus Police channels programmed into our Motorola Astro car radios. I tried tuning into that and found that when the old walkies were being full of static, the car radios were fine. Unfortunately, the way our radio system is set up, we can't just scan Columbus while keeping the radios on our own channels. There are technical reasons for this that I don't understand, but that's just the way it is. A co-worker that is a techie said that the static is because Columbus recently narrowed its bandwith to comply with newer FCC regulations and our old radios aren't capable of receiving on the narrower bandwith like our new radios can. He said the static is probably bleedover.

Can anybody think of a way of reducing or getting rid of this static, or have these old radios finally become doorstops? Thanks for any advice.
  • kermit315
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2012

I would say your techie friend is right. You could always deprogram the radios and use them as emergency backups or sell them, I guess.

Comment

• Iowa #1603
      Senior Veteran
      • Aug 2007

Rebanding of the Columbus system (currently used by most public safety in Franklin County) is underway this week.

I DON'T ALWAYS LIKE BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER .......Oh who the hell am I kiddingI LOVE IT. Stay safe my friends

Comment

• jack.torry
        Forum Member
        • Feb 2014

I looked up Hawthorne PD in the database and it looks like it dispatched with the South Bay Regional Com Authority, which I'm assuming is trunked. (but I can't find it in the LA county trunked section) However, I see nothing about the PD being in the "T-Band". (That's basically 450-512 MHz)
        product reviews

Comment

• Iowa #1603
          Senior Veteran
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by jack.torry
          I looked up Hawthorne PD in the database and it looks like it dispatched with the South Bay Regional Com Authority, which I'm assuming is trunked. (but I can't find it in the LA county trunked section) However, I see nothing about the PD being in the "T-Band". (That's basically 450-512 MHz)
          Ahem...................it is a OHIO thread
          I DON'T ALWAYS LIKE BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER .......Oh who the hell am I kiddingI LOVE IT. Stay safe my friends

Comment

• jack.torry
            Forum Member
            • Feb 2014

my bad sorry about that :P
            product reviews

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18655 users online. 35 members and 18620 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...