300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPads?

We added another detective (an experienced one who retired from another agency. He brought some good ideas with him.) who is suggesting we ask for iPads. His suggestion seems good, to be able to take it in while interviewing for the photography, audio recording, web connectivity etc.
    Are any investigators using them? And in what manner? How are they working? Looking for justification points here.

I know the answer; "We gave you laptops just three years ago, and you're asking for iPads now?!"

We really need to enter the twentyfirst century.
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Leverage technology when and where you can. I for one am a major supporter of commercial off the shelf technology (COTS) that can be applied “out of the box”. That said, there are countless applications out there that can be a huge benefit to investigators beyond the few you already cited…just search through the App Store and see.

As a talking point, while laptops are great, they have inherent limitations due to size and portability. Further, they are relatively benign and can sometimes be used where other devices could create barriers to free flowing discussions. They are everywhere and tend to blend into any environment.

I would research compatibility with your current systems and seek out guidance on how digital evidence will be managed in accordance with law and policy.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Buying the latest tech is a waste of money unless the "system" is changed to use it. There's no point in recording interviews if you don't have server space to archive them or your prosecutor insists on a written statement with a signature.

Comment

We use Spillman for our dispatching and investigations. We can attach audio, video, and scanned documents in the server so that works quite well. We do take written statemenrts and scan them into the system while placing the originals into central records.

Space isn't a consideration. If an iPad works well enough I'd turn in my laptop.
        I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

The vast majority of departments that are buying tablets should be spending the money on improving their crappy networks. I'm not saying they are not useful in the proper environment but they are often being purchased because they are the latest fad. I see departments buying these and they have no access to CJIS, CAD/RMS and their own networks. Some can't even get their department email on them. I can do all these things yet I am not wasting the money on them right now.
          The People's Republic of Massachusetts

Communications | Technology | Social Media
          Twitter Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by KenW. View Post
            We added another detective (an experienced one who retired from another agency. He brought some good ideas with him.) who is suggesting we ask for iPads. His suggestion seems good, to be able to take it in while interviewing for the photography, audio recording, web connectivity etc.
            Are any investigators using them? And in what manner? How are they working? Looking for justification points here.

I know the answer; "We gave you laptops just three years ago, and you're asking for iPads now?!"

We really need to enter the twentyfirst century.
            Technology is technology whether its a laptop or a tablet. For what it's worth any laptop can run circles around a tablet so it really depends on what you are using it for. Does the 21st century mean it's time to have limited functionality? Again, I would be more curious how your network is set up and being managed. Many departments showing off their new, cool tablets have terrible network security and functionality.
            The People's Republic of Massachusetts

Communications | Technology | Social Media
            Twitter Facebook

Comment

you can remote into a pc for cad ncic

Comment

Why not a smart phone? Be it iphone, android, etc. You have all the functionality of an ipad plus it's a lot less intrusive size wise.
                He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High
                shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
                - Psalm 91:1

On Ignore - A few folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy84 View Post
                  you can remote into a pc for cad ncic
                  +1. I can remote into my PC in my office via my Ipad, through a VPN. From there I launch the VPN on my PC, launch my NCIC software and I'm in.

Comment

After playing around with my daughter's iPad, I think a Galaxy tablet or similar would work just as well. even as me ntioned before, a smart phone with fewer limitatio ns than those already in place, would be a great step up.

Our issued phones (the finest free phones available from our provider) now are "for official use only-no texting". That means I carry two phones, or forward my office phone to my personal phone and change the paging number in dispatch to my personal phone. Sillyness.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

In fact Brookline PD used iPad during the Boston Marathon 2014. iPad is great because it is easy to use, providing mobility and cost less to set up and maintenance compares to laptop or tough book.

Comment

You can Dropbox your reports back and forth from your iPad to a computer. I have Capture Notes 2 on my iPad to take notes and record interviews. You can download a PDF reader. Your imagination is your limit with the iPad. You can use Skype to have a face to face with other people (ie supervisors/co-workers). If you are in the field and a supervisor is at home you can show them what you are seeing real time.

Comment

carrying a laptop could be a hefty task for officers because it takes a lot of effort so replacing them with some good tablet like apple's Ipad is an intelligent suggestion as you could do surveillance, video recording, etc with it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8157 users online. 241 members and 7916 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X