300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going on "Secure"...

I know, I know, it is eventually needed where information transmitted over the radio needs to be "Scrambled" or "Secure"...

I.E., suspect vehicle, appearance, direction of travel, et. al.,... because the "Bad Guy"'s lately have taken to carrying handheld police scannerswith them while they commit crimes, so they know where the PD is...

However, I'd bet my front teeth that there are more honest people monitoring police scanners out of hobby/boredom, and may very well offer firsthand/witness information regarding a subject on what they heard, that encrypting PD transmissions might actually work against the officers...

I can see the overall reasoning, but really, all PD's are doing is cutting potential witnesses out of the equation that may have led to an arrest...

I count myself as one of them, however my Wife would outright kill me if I spent $500 on a Digital scanner...
    Last edited by Gunner.K19; 01-05-2011, 10:14 AM.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left..."
    "I swear to God, I'm gonna pistol whip the next guy who says 'Shenanigans' !"

Well it maybe more than that. The latest CJIS policy requires that all data sent over the air is encrypted. So if the PD wants access to all of the Fed information then they have to comply.

The idea is more to prevent me from intercepting, and the abusing information

Ever person with access to fed/state information should be fingerprinted and on file with the Feds.

It's really no different than the requirements for all devices with access to CJIS info.
    The sooner you understand that all your base are belongs to me the better off you will be.

Comment

Does this then follow along the means of End User License Agreements for DMV software? There have been many incidents where I have called local PD asking for 28 info, but was told that they couldn't share that information with me due to EULA requirements...

Sorry, 28 being 10-28 vehicle info for those who use different codes...
      "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left..."
      "I swear to God, I'm gonna pistol whip the next guy who says 'Shenanigans' !"

Comment

It would be hard to stay. Most MV data is State data, so it would not fall under the federal guidelines for criminal information. However it could fall under the privacy act or even HIPAA.
        The sooner you understand that all your base are belongs to me the better off you will be.

Comment

Much of what we do is via mobile computer now anyway... chat, calls, DMV/NCIC.

That and cell phone.
          All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

I've never had a witness come forward because of a scanner. NOt saying decent people dont have scanners as a hobby, but I don't think it will hurt us.
            For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Originally posted by NHNSP_ADMIN View Post
              The latest CJIS policy requires that all data sent over the air is encrypted. So if the PD wants access to all of the Fed information then they have to comply.
              What kind of data are you referring to? Does that include voice data? If so please PM me with a link to wherever you got your information please. Thanks.

Comment

Mr Admin guy...
                Might know this joint maybe not... just say'in....

Might see ya' 'round

Got 7 and Vista too...

Sully
                Originally posted by mookster
                Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
                Originally posted by CityCopDC
                I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
                Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
                I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
                -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

lol small Internet!

Here is the CJIS security policy if anyone is interred in reading it. It is a real page turner...
                  I don't know why It WAS classified but ended up on the good old Internet some how :-(
                  Archive of government documents and public information regarding national security, finance, international relations, government surveillance, and continuity of government operations.

Comment

Originally posted by NHNSP_ADMIN View Post
                    lol small Internet!

Here is the CJIS security policy if anyone is interred in reading it. It is a real page turner...
                    I don't know why It WAS classified but ended up on the good old Internet some how :-(
                    http://publicintelligence.info/CJISsecuritypolicy.pdf
                    What tha....

I opened the file and looked up......I had cooked off over a hour....

The pictorial topologies for diff agencies were, well, interesting... also, I noticed that fax data need not to be encrypted.....strange i guess... anyway, I'm glad your doing that stuff and not me...

Your side of the world seems to move faster than this side. Which is merely enriched modulated analog R.F. from simple A3 to complex Spread spectrum...

My philosophy is simple, given a bit of time when/if radiated, it is good as decrypted ...

I suppose. On that note I overheard a satement that alluded to the idea that data can be had from a fiber optic run, non evasively, even when used properly. Of course I would assume that meaning total internal reflection is met.

An analogy if one needs clarification would be "tapping" a transmission line that has zero or a near pefect VSWR (no radiation) without physical contact such as a run of coaxial or waveguide...

I just don't know how that would be possible...Again when fiber is being used, and used properly..
                    Originally posted by mookster
                    Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
                    Originally posted by CityCopDC
                    I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
                    Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
                    I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
                    -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

I dont see scanners as a bad thing. Its only bad if the suspect is 211'ing a bank and is waiting to hear over the scanner the call being dispatched out. For calls like 415m (music disturbance) and lower priority stuff like that its not even aired.
                      Gotta catch em allll.........

Comment

Originally posted by SBSO_DISPATCHER View Post
                        I dont see scanners as a bad thing. Its only bad if the suspect is 211'ing a bank and is waiting to hear over the scanner the call being dispatched out. For calls like 415m (music disturbance) and lower priority stuff like that its not even aired.
                        Even then, what will it accomplish for the 211 susp? There are too many variables to estimate a response time. The 211 call may go out as a unit rounds the corner. I've been flagged down as a call is put out...

Originally posted by jeffIL View Post
                        I've never had a witness come forward because of a scanner. NOt saying decent people dont have scanners as a hobby, but I don't think it will hurt us.
                        I have actually. We've had witnesses call in after hearing our radio traffic with "hey, that guy you're looking for is over here."
                        Other officer: Oh that's right, I forgot, you're God's gift to police work.
                        Me: At least someone recognizes it.

Turns out basic police work isn't so hard, you just have to leave the station.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner.K19 View Post
                          Does this then follow along the means of End User License Agreements for DMV software? There have been many incidents where I have called local PD asking for 28 info, but was told that they couldn't share that information with me due to EULA requirements...

Sorry, 28 being 10-28 vehicle info for those who use different codes...
                          Why would you think you have a right to this information? Would you want just anyone being able to find out your full name and address just from looking at your tag?

Comment

Originally posted by Blizz View Post
                            Even then, what will it accomplish for the 211 susp? There are too many variables to estimate a response time. The 211 call may go out as a unit rounds the corner. I've been flagged down as a call is put out...

I have actually. We've had witnesses call in after hearing our radio traffic with "hey, that guy you're looking for is over here."
                            You are absolutely right. We could get the 211 call and a dep be in the parking lot.
                            Gotta catch em allll.........

Comment

our radios are encrypted these days. unfortunately the local departments felt alienated by our change over. In the end we got them all de-scramblers..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3124 users online. 187 members and 2937 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X