300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For FLLawdog

I found something that I thought you might want to include in your signature with all the other information you have noted..

Scientists create pig with 'friendlier' manure
    WebPosted Mon Jul 30 19:23:07 2001
    GUELPH, ONTARIO - Scientists at the University of Guelph say they have built a better pig, one that produces better pig manure.

They created transgenic pigs which they say leave less phosphorus in their droppings, making it more environmentally friendly.
    The pigs contain a gene created in the lab by combining DNA from a bacteria with DNA from a mouse.

The extra gene makes the pigs secrete an enzyme that allows them to break down and absorb phosphorus more efficiently than regular pigs.

The new pigs create manure 75 per cent less phosphorus, making it safer to spread on land. Phosphorus can pollute lakes and rivers.

Otherwise, researchers say the new pigs are identical to regular pigs in every way.

Having published their findings, the scientists now want to convince federal regulators that the pigs should be raised commercially.

All the tests, analysis and regulatory hurdles are expected to take three to five years.

Written by CBC News Online staff

What a University! First they give me a Bachelor of Science and then they create a better pig, will wonders ever cease?
    Graeme

Comment

What next? as if square watermelons wasn't enough!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4246 users online. 233 members and 4013 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X