300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paper or plastic?

Wife asked me to pick up a few things at the grocery store today. Bad timing, with the holiday weekend starting, all the handicapped parking was full so I parked way out in left field and hobbled into the supermarket. Played "bumper cars" for an hour or so, finally found everything on my list, got in line at the check-out station.

Paper or plastic, asked the grocery bagger. Plastic is fine. Bagger held up the gallon jug of milk, asked me if I wanted that in a bag. I told him he could just leave the milk in the jug.

Grocery bagger looked a little confused. Check-out clerk busted out laughing. Two or three people waiting in line caught the joke and started laughing. Pretty soon the manager showed up and had to be filled in on what was going on.

Best trip to the grocery store I've had in months.

Next time you go to Starbucks and they ask you if you want whipped cream on whatever you ordered, ask if it's free range or cage free, then watch the expression on their face as they try to figure out the answer. Or, if your restaurant server asks if you want water, ask if you can get it caffeine free and blackened.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I try to avoid random jokey joker types bantering with strangers in public. The only people who amuse me are people I know. I feel sorry for barmaids and barristas who are compelled to engage in pithy conversation with strangers lest the tip jar go empty.
      What a long strange trip its been.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
        I try to avoid random jokey joker types bantering with strangers in public. The only people who amuse me are people I know. I feel sorry for barmaids and barristas who are compelled to engage in pithy conversation with strangers lest the tip jar go empty.
        Maybe you have a point there, but I must have missed it behind the cynicism and glibness somewhere.

My old dad was a smart guy. One of the things he taught us boys was that a man needed two things to get through life. One was common sense, because without common sense something was likely to kill you. The other thing was a sense of humor because without that, sooner or later, you might kill yourself.

Dad also taught us to stay out of hospitals because people die there.

Dad also talked frequently about the time in his life when he stopped drinking, stopped smoking, stopped gambling, and stopped chasing women. He swore it was the worst 45 minutes of his entire life.

I always tried to learn from my old Dad. My sense of humor is intact, functioning well into its 8th decade.

Best regards.

Comment

Touche'.

Yeah, my shot was a bit uncalled for. Being cynical and glib. No disrespect intended.

Your dad seems like my kind of fella.
          What a long strange trip its been.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6982 users online. 286 members and 6696 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X