300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Asap Please

My department needs your help as soon as you can. Here is my story...

My department has not had a raise in almost four years. I work at the Cocoa police department in Florida. The City council and Mayor do not feel that were are worth the money we get paid now. My city has the highest crime rate in Brevard county and for a 70 officer PD we are the lowest paid in the county. We have lost senior officers (13years) and junior officers (1 Year). What I am asking that you help with is go to our web page and you'll find the link to the Mayor and city council and the govenor to send them an email letting them know the importance of us and or jobs. I feel that as LEOs it might help us a little if you speak up even if it is in a general outlook on the job and the dangers associated with the job.

We have a myspace page called CPD that's it- http://www.myspace.com/cocopd please help us.

Thanks for your time.
    Me in the Sunshine State

10-8store.com

"I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do. That is character!"

Originally posted by cocoa25 View Post

My department has not had a raise in almost four years. I work at the Cocoa police department in Florida. The City council and Mayor do not feel that were are worth the money we get paid now. My city has the highest crime rate in Brevard county and for a 70 officer PD we are the lowest paid in the county. We have lost senior officers (13years) and junior officers (1 Year). What I am asking that you help with is go to our web page and you'll find the link to the Mayor and city council and the govenor to send them an email letting them know the importance of us and or jobs. I feel that as LEOs it might help us a little if you speak up even if it is in a general outlook on the job and the dangers associated with the job.

We have a myspace page called CPD that's it- http://www.myspace.com/cocopd please help us.

Thanks for your time.
    What is starting pay? It would help in making a stronger argument if we knew what your pay is, and pay of the other local agencies in the area. Off the top of my head, I would also suggest you all not put your pay on your myspace page,I saw that a Sgt is making $60-$75k/yr. That sounds like plenty to your average civilian.
    Last edited by miked6; 06-02-2007, 10:07 AM.
    "Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most. " --Dwight K Schrute (The Office)

Comment

Originally posted by cocoa25 View Post

Thanks for your time.

I suggest the law of economics. Scarcity increases commodity value. When enough officers leave the department for adjoining agencies, and when your municipality has trouble hiring new officers, or when there is a "brain drain" and all the experienced officers leave, the "city leaders" will either change their position or suffer the consequences of having short manpower and less experienced police department.

Vote with your feet. If enough of your fellow officers do it, there will be action. Right now the "city leaders" don't have any incentive to change their positions.

Good luck!
      Politically Correct? No.

Truthful? Yes!

Comment

good suggestions given so far....

how about....

salary survey of like departments within your county?
        salary survey of like departments outside your county?

Cost of living increase...

Do you have a contract? Re-negotiate at the appropriate time.

If you can't get an outright salary increase, go for merit pay including but not limited to: speciality pay, court overtime minimum, shift differential, uniform allowance increase, FTO pay, hazard pay (motors, swat, k9, etc.), stand by time, training, educational incentives, minimum staffing levels - i.e. this department will not be have fewer than XX officers at any time, stand by pay, pager pay, range training pay, telephone pay, extra holiday pay, 3% at 50, etc.

Need POA involvement
        Need Chief and admin support

Note the costs of retaining an officer versus personnel leaving and spending more to conduct new testing, hiring and training again...

Start schmoozing and good luck
        ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
        -- John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by miked6 View Post
          What is starting pay? It would help in making a stronger argument if we knew what your pay is, and pay of the other local agencies in the area. Off the top of my head, I would also suggest you all not put your pay on your myspace page,I saw that a Sgt is making $60-$75k/yr. That sounds like plenty to your average civilian.
          It sounds like plenty to me, too. Our city manager is our highest paid city employee, and dosen't make 60 grand. Sgts here make well under 40 before OT.

It sucks to not get a raise for 4 years. Sorry about that. But I also have to wonder what you are already making. Just remember, it's always worse somewhere else, and like Woofdog said, there's always something you can do about it.

I saw precious few facts on the MySpace, although I will admit I spent less than 10 minutes there.
          If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

its listed on the cocoa florida site as 15.12/hr. i couldn't find a nearby town hiring to do a salary comparison.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4748 users online. 238 members and 4510 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X