300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essential Spanish For Law Enforcement

Aurora, CO, October 5, 2005 -- Digitelligent, Inc. announces the launch of SpanishOnPatrol.com, an easy, convenient, online Spanish class for law enforcement.

As a survival spanish instructor I was very impressed by the sample lesson. I signed up for a three month membership and will write a review here shortly.

My only suggestion so far is use little cue cards for words and phrases that you, definately in my case, struggle with. You can then use these cards while driving around on patrol

Comment

Now, I have to write something and I don't want people to take this the wrong way. But, why should speaking Spanish be essential when I live in Minnesota? don't you think that people when they come to this nation that they should do themselves a favor and learn to speak english? I am not trying to be racist or bias by any means, i am really curious about this. I live in an area of town that is predominately mexcian and spanish speaking. I was just bewildered by the thought of having Spanish being essential when it is actually english thought should be essential. Anyone have any thoughts on that? And just so everyone here knows first and fore most..... I have already signed up to take spanish lessons.
      "...and that was the second time I had crabs."
      "Stinks like sex in here."

Comment

Originally posted by NDubs55
        Now, I have to write something and I don't want people to take this the wrong way. But, why should speaking Spanish be essential when I live in Minnesota? don't you think that people when they come to this nation that they should do themselves a favor and learn to speak english? I am not trying to be racist or bias by any means, i am really curious about this. I live in an area of town that is predominately mexcian and spanish speaking. I was just bewildered by the thought of having Spanish being essential when it is actually english thought should be essential. Anyone have any thoughts on that? And just so everyone here knows first and fore most..... I have already signed up to take spanish lessons.
        I hear you....heck, all my grandparents learned English. Not one of them went past the 6th grade, so.....that's no excuse.

I just dont know....I guess since they did not have a crutch of sorts; they had to learn the language.

All my cousins in Mexico speak both languages....I can never practice my Spanish with them because they want to practice their English. When my aunts and uncles visit my parents and I am home; they wont speak Spanish around me because they forget I know Spanish and when my husband is with me , they dont want to be rude since he does not speak it.

Buena Suerte con Espanol....es un idioma muy romantico.

(translated: Good Luck with your Spanish; its a very romantic language).

I think thats what I wrote...I am really out of practice.

Comment

I started taking the Spanish on patrol program two weeks ago. I recommend it. It's easy and actually fun to learn Spanish this way.

Comment

Spanish in Lawenforcement

I Have Been On The Force With Tampa For Almost 20 Years, And Am Presently The Hispanic Affairs Liaison. I Agree That Everyone Should Speak English, And In A Perfect World We All Would.

There Are People That Have Been Here For 40 Years That Still Don't Speak The Language, And If There Is A Situation I Am Usually The One To Respond On The Day Shift, Not To Include The Phone Calls.
            I Would Like To Know How Many Agencies Out There Are Paid Bi-lingual ''skill Pay''?

Learning A Little Spanish Is Essential To Me In Lawenforcement Because If I Go To A Domestic, I Get To The Door The Women Is Sreaming And Stating ''tiene Una Pistola, Me Va A Matar'' At Least I Will Know To Back Away From The Door, And Prepare Myself For Whatever May Come Next.[translation, He Has A Gun, And He Is Going To Kill Me]

Our Own Safety Is The Key Factor Here.

Paz En Tu Vida Policia.......call Me If You Need A Translator, My Phone Is 24/7 1-813-310-4072

Portavoz Latina

Learning Is Part Of Growing

Comment

Looks like some good stuff! Ill have to check it out.

Comment

No paid translators

but we have plenty of Spanish-speaking officers. It's usually not too hard to fine done working. Thanks for the offer.
                You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by portavozlatina
                  I Have Been On The Force With Tampa For Almost 20 Years, And Am Presently The Hispanic Affairs Liaison. I Agree That Everyone Should Speak English, And In A Perfect World We All Would.
                  Thats pretty funny. 321 languages are spoken in America, how are you handling the others? Also, I think in a perfect world everyone in America would speak English.

Y no es como si yo fuera un gringo ignorante. Hablo espa
                  Last edited by spetactical.com; 11-25-2005, 08:58 AM.
                  "You are always just one bad decision away from unemployment, prison or death."

"My profession dictates that I routinely confront the people that the average citizen fearfully crosses the street to avoid. Then I must endure the criticism of that citizen as he judges my actions from afar."

www.speforums.com

Comment

Here's my review good and bad.

The good:
                    Very well formated in a way that encourages one to learn and retain in an effective manner. I could go on in detail but I'm too lazy, trust me, I like the set up with the games, lesson plans, etc.

Includes very usefull phrases and alert words(threat words being communicated between two spanish speakers right in front of you).

The web site is expanding and offering more learning.

The bad(needs to be improved):
                    So far the content of the program is about one tenth of the terms, words and phrases one needs to know to do even a basic traffic stop. I have a rather thick field manual by the Constable Group that covers everything and is my bible for spanish interactions.

Advice for those taking the program:
                    The tests and learning games are all multiple choice. Well obviously in the street your not going to be given multiple choices while trying to communicate in spanish. These words and phrases have to be known by heart and recognized when spoken to you. I recommend taking the tests and exercises with your eyes closed before clicking on the right answer.

Summary:
                    For $23- for a three month membership this is a very good program for what it currently offers. You can't beat learning something over a period of time as opposed to going to a seminar or other brief instructional programs. As long as it offers me new stuff to learn I will keep participating in the program.
                    Last edited by JRT6; 12-20-2005, 04:02 AM.

Comment

I don't know if Spanishonpatrol read my last post but they have since increased the amout of terms for traffic stops and now points out the limitations of learning soley by multiple choice.

Comment

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
                        Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
                        For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
                        'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'

Such is the rule of honour.

~L.o.G.~

Comment

[QUOTE=Huey County]

Comment

[QUOTE=JRT6]Huey,
                            Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
                            Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
                            For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
                            'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'

Such is the rule of honour.

~L.o.G.~

Comment

[QUOTE=spetactical.com]Thats pretty funny. 321 languages are spoken in America, how are you handling the others? Also, I think in a perfect world everyone in America would speak English.

Y no es como si yo fuera un gringo ignorante. Hablo espa

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5090 users online. 278 members and 4812 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X